Hotels in this story
This afternoon, we followed a trail of drool left by the NYC foodie blogger population all the way into the Chambers Hotel lobby mezzanine, where the very first lunch at Ma Peche was being served. Ma Peche, for those unfamiliar, is the newest restaurant from Momofuku Inc. opening sometime this winter in the Chambers. For now, a select few dishes are being offered on the Mezzanine menu in the Chambers lobby for those too eager to wait to sink their teeth into a fatty banh mi.
For the $10 Momo lunch special going on right now, you get a canned soda and your choice of a three terrine banh mi, a chicken banh mi, rice noodles with pork, or a squid salad. We noshed on the three terrine banh mi with daikon and cilantro, full of flavor, though a bit oily — and we treated ourselves to a giant peanut butter cookie from Momofuku Milk bar.
- Excellent location, close to Midtown attractions like MoMA, Fifth Avenue shopping, Central Park, and many other Midtown hotels
- Fantastic food, as expected from foodie idol David Chang
- Virtually glitch-free service, despite the opening day lunch rush
- The main dining room is not yet open, and eating on the mezzanine is uncomfortable (and a bit messy); we sat hunched over a coffee table.
- Expensive: $10 for a small sandwich and a canned soda; $16 for a hamburger.
- Packed with bloggers (like us) playing with their smartphones.
All products are independently selected by our writers and editors. If you buy something through our links, Oyster may earn an affiliate commission.